Tuesday, August 5, 2008

If I asked somebody to do me a favor and they quickly and honestly replied, "No," I would not personally be offended and, quite frankly, would be more satisfied with this response. A genuine "No" is something to be valued. This is also something I struggle with. Rather than giving a genuine and assertive "No," I will either become ignorant or figure out a way to justify my "No" when there really needs to be no justification. Being real with myself can't hurt. I mean I do know myself and what I want just as you do. Also, when I think about it, I do not want to have somebody do something for me who is not exactly up for it or is giving me signs of resentment. What's the point in that?

Don't get me wrong. I love to do favors most of the time, but there comes a time when, for the sake of enjoying this short life, you have to make decisions that you know will make you happier, healthier, and an overall more enjoyable person. I think that people who constantly aim to please and accept everything that is offered to them start to lose a piece of themselves and after a while begin to negatively impact those around them rather than lift them up. A healthy, rested person is generally a happy person. People taken advantage of are, from what I have observed, on edge, depressed, and confused. Take some time to think, clear your head, ponder something, look at the stars, read a book, lay down, and mentally/spiritually/physically/emotionally prepare yourself for your next deadline, event, or task so that you are enabled to excel and accomplish that task with great fervor rather than barely finish it in a slumpish, lazy, resentful manner.

I guess I have gathered that there needs to be a fine balance. I'd say strive to be a servant where you can be an excellent and productive servant, and know where you are needed. At least that's the way I see it for myself.

3 comments:

Kristin Michelle said...

Now if I ask you to do something and you say "yes," I will have a sneaking suspicion that you secretly wanted to say "no," and if you say "no" I will think, oh brother, he is trying out that new philosophy he's latched onto. Maybe I will refrain from asking you anything from here on out for the sake of simplicity and peace of mind...

JeffreyLocke said...

Hahaha. I think we all say yes to things we don't want to do. The thing is, we will never know what somebody really "wants" to do. How can anybody but the person making the decision be 100 percent sure about the genuineness of a decision. But for you, KG, I will be genuine, but how will you know that?! MUHAHAHAHAAH!

Jamie Simko said...

Hey yeah, uhmmm, me and (name left blank) are gonna be working on some songs pretty soon here, so uhm, wanted to see if you and Locke are down to maybe play here in a little while, you know, get together and jam or something...

- Oh yeah dude, FOR SURE, just hit me up whenever!

About Me

My photo
I am recent graduate just looking at the dirt, writing about it.