Saturday, May 10, 2008

In All Things, Beauty

This quote from Letters to a Young Poet is great. The human imagination is one of the greatest gifts of all. I am sick of the extreme lack of imagination today. If we aren't being fed by a movie or TV show that provides us with imaginative elements so we don't have to imagine on our own, we just sit around thinking "I'm so bored." And, oftentimes, that's that. I want to be able to safely say that I can think of a unique concept, poem, story, or character on my own. Create something. Don't get me wrong, I think movies and TV are wonderful. I am so thankful we are able to enjoy others' creations. I just wish we didn't rely on it 100 percent for our entertainment. It's a waste of a human mind, frankly.

Almost all of my blogs are pointed directly at myself to criticize myself. I am a guilty hypocrite. I just don't want to be what I hate. These posts will hopefully allow me to look back and remember what I believe and think. Anyway, enough prologuing. Here's the quote:


"If your everyday life seems poor, don't blame it; blame yourself; admit to yourself that you are not enough of a poet to call forth its riches; because for the creator there is not poverty and no poor, indifferent place. And even if you found yourself in some prison, whose walls let in none of the world's sounds - wouldn't you still have your childhood, that jewel beyond all price, that treasure house of memories? Turn your attentions to it. Try to raise up the sunken feelings of this enormous past; your personality will grow stronger, your solitude will expand and become a place where you can live in the twilight, where the noise of other people passes by, far in the distance."

-Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am recent graduate just looking at the dirt, writing about it.